Dr. John de Groot
BA, LLB PhD
Special Counsel, de Groots wills and estate lawyers
Accredited Specialist (Succession Law) (Qld Law Society Inc.)
Area of specialty: Wills and Estates
Brisbane | Tel: + 61 7 3218 4721
John is a leading specialist in Succession Law and author of a number of definitive publications on the subject. These include: “Wills Probate & Administration Practice (Queensland)” and “Family Provision in Australia” (an estate litigation text), of which he is co-author with Mr Bruce Nickel.
- Past President of the Queensland Law Society
- Former Chairman of the Queensland Law Society’s Succession Law Committee and of its Advisory Committee on Specialist Accreditation
- Adjunct Professor at the T. C. Beirne School of Law at the University of Queensland
- Chair of the Queensland Community Foundation
- Regular presenter at seminars dealing with Succession Law issues
For many years John was the Director of Legal Practice of the Law Faculty at the Queensland University of Technology, having responsibility for the faculty’s practical legal training programs for graduates seeking admission as solicitors or barristers in the State. He designed and delivered QUT’s “Estate Planning” unit for the faculty’s LL.M. by coursework degree and was lecturer in charge of “Professional Responsibility”, the compulsory legal ethics unit in QUT’s LL.B program. John retired from QUT in 1999 to return to full time private practice with de Groots.